God is God, Give Him the Glory

Worship.

noun.

the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

glorification, exultation, honor, praise.

Looks good on paper I guess, but my experience has been more then a sweet definition and list of synonyms. It hasn't been as easy as a step 1,2,3. It hasn't been something where I could look at what the kid next to me was doing and just do the same. It has been far from simple, and yet being on a journey of discovering what worship really is has actually brought me to a simplicity of life that is unbeatable. 

God is God. Give Him the glory. 

Ok, so you may be thinking, "ok, so what are you saying Lindsey, what is the point."

What I am saying is that. God IS the point. What is Worship? It is giving Glory to God. Not to your situation, your problems, your skills, your church, and not yourself. Maybe this sounds simple to you, but I am continually learning how to do this.

Here is an example of where I had to learn what true worship looked like for me. Growing up in the culture I did and the church culture I did, I hadn't had a lot of exposure to people worshiping with hands raised, random outbursts, singing something other then what was on the page, people speaking in tongues, long worship sets, and a lot of other things. I am not saying that how I grew up was wrong, but I did allow myself to give fear and judgement a foot hold in my life when I first did see these things. Now that IS wrong. I had to really let God do some work on my heart. I was focused more on how people saw me, what i sounded like, what my fears and insecurities were, and what others were doing more then I was focused on God. 

I would like to think that you either relate to me in this and have found freedom, are in this and will be encouraged because God can change your heart, or are challenged to look at your own life and ask God "where is my focus when I am in a worship service". Or, you can be all three of those people, which I actually am. I have made mistakes, God helped me find breakthrough, and I see progress in my heart while also seeing more room for God's grace. 

Ask yourself what worship is to you and what your experience has been. 

So chew on these thoughts, and keep an eye out for more of my journey in worship!!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airlie Beach

3 Weeks to Go!!

Friends || Faithfulness || Flights